Tuesday, October 20, 2009

ras muny for kids in afreca!!!


This adorable child is the oldest son of my niece. I read this story on her facebook page and sobbed my way to the end. I wanted to place it here and save it to read over and over. The accompanying journalling is in her words. "I came home from work today to find Zachary at the bottom of our driveway with a make-shift donation stand set up. He'd made it himself out of styrofoam, a rock and a tomatoe cage"I asked him what he was doing and he held up his sign : "ras muny for kids in afreca!". You may know such charities by more familiar names like :"Raising money for kids in Africa!" He told me "I could buy them pencils or food or clean water for them!" I nearly burst into tears with how much I loved him for this. I was less touched by his spelling. However, I will be putting the sign in his memory box :)He'd stand at our busy street and wait for cars....

...and when they came he'd hold up his sign frantically and yell out "Raise money for kids in Africa!"...and even though no one stopped he stood out there for over an hour with only a few quarters from Mimi and Mom and Mr. Joel in his little green cup. His goal was to "make enough money to go all the way to the top of the cup".


After a while the neighbour kids came out to help....

...their spelling was much better and their sign was much bigger! They even gave him a chair. He stayed out there for another hour. Finally one guy did turn around, park on the other side of the road and brought some change for the little green cup. I didn't get my camera out in time but the smile on Zachy's face is something I'll never forget. "Mom! Someone stopped!"After he came in he counted his money and was thrilled to see that he'd made $12.59 . It's safely tucked into a ziplock bag in his backpack to take to school tomorrow and show his teacher. I sure do love this little boy.

He plans to be back there tomorrow after school if anyone is driving down Auto Road at around 3pm :)Stay tuned for updates on this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment