Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The 30 Day Musical Theater Song Challenge - Day 1

Well, I have no idea how this happened but my original post from this disappeared off my blog so I will try this again!  GRR.

This challenge is from Facebook.  I thought it would be fun to try it out.  The idea is to choose a song which fills the requirements of a list of questions.  I also decided I didn't want to choose the same musical more than once.

My first exposure to a musical was probably the same as many: THE WIZARD OF OZ movie on TV.  I was about 5 when I saw it and I was so traumatized by the Wicked Witch I don't really remember much else besides being scared of her. 

My next real awareness of musicals was later. When I was in about grade 3 my mom had several sets of Reader's Digest Condensed record albums.  They were sets of several records all on the same theme.  The one I loved was called Operettas.
I can't believe I actually found an image of the cover!

My mom would stack them up and we would listen for hours.  We lived in a town where dark came early and snow was plentiful.  We spent many happy evenings listening to that music.  The song I remember clearest was this one from SHOWBOAT called Old Man River.
Thanks, mom!




No comments:

Post a Comment