Sunday, November 1, 2009

In Stitches

I enjoy sewing.  I don't LOVE it but I do enjoy it.  My sewing machine is thirty years old and has served me well.  There was a time in my life when I sewed a lot.  In high school I made most of my own clothes.  After I got married and had kids I sewed for both of them but mainly Cody-Anne.  I even sewed a prom dress.  I liked sewing for her when she was little cause the dresses were so cute and small.  They didn't take days and days to finish.  I enjoy craft sewing too; tea cozies, purses and bags, dolls, blankets and the like.  


When I was up in Canada recently at my sister Carolynne's we did a sewing project  i think you'll enjoy.  I was frustrated when packing because I had no way to keep my jewelry from getting all tangled up.  i proposed to Carolynne that we  make roll up travel bags for jewelry.  After unsuccessfully trying to find a pattern we came up with our own.  After a bit of trial and error this is what we made.



Carolynne had this gorgeous golden ribbon we used as a closure.  



  Fabric yo-yo's, ribbon and vintage buttons added the finishing touches.


I have no idea why this picture is sideways ....This is the flap we made to keep the jewelry from rubbing on each other when rolled.  Above the rickrack are pockets on each side.  I used a button and ribbon for a closure.



All my precious jewels tied in place!  
The ends tuck into a folded over area which formed a pocket.

We put a zipper in that part and I use it for bracelets.


So now I'm moving on to another sweet project.  I've bought some fabric to sew dresses for my grandgirlies!  Joanne's was having a great sale and I got all this fabric at half price.  Such a deal.  How could I resist?  







Today I sewed most of the day.

Micah was very interested in all the details and asked a lot of questions.  She asked me to teach her to sew when she turns 10.  I told her she had a deal!  Stay tuned for more pictures in the next few days.

1 comment: