Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In this house...


This picture was taken on September 12, 2011.  It is my beautiful daughter in law Dusti on her 30th birthday. I am so proud of her and glad to be her mother in law.  Tyler made the best choice ever in his pick for a life partner.  This picture was taken that day. Norm and I wanted to make her something special for her big day.  Awhile ago she posted this picture on her blog:

She said she wanted one of these to hang on her wall.  So we set about to try and make that happen.  Norm has tons of old wood around and so after we figured out how wide the pieces needed to be (8") and how long (24") he cut them and we set about sanding and prepping them.  Then he fastened them together.


I love how the paint is all peel-y and the under paints are showing through.  


I cut all the words out on my Cricut using the Opposites Attract cartridge.  We snapped the lines on the boards using a chalk line (not sure I would do it that way again if I ever make another one of these) and I gathered my lettering materials together.
The actual lettering took me less than an hour.  I didn't want the letters to be stark black so I used a charcoal black paint.  Then I used aqua paint for the word LOVE to fit in with her living room decor.  I didn't have the right kind of sponge so I cut open an old dish sponge.  Worked like a charm!
The cost of making this sign was very minimal.  It cost us more to mail it than it did to make!  It was so much fun to work together on this project.  You'll notice there aren't any pictures of Norm here.  The only excuse I have is that it was very sunny when I took them and they were very glare-y.  Yeah...that's it....
One of the things I had to do was to blank out the insides of the O's and D's.  I did this with cream paint and a reverse stencil.  Worked great!




Happy birthday, Dusti.  We love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this project! Your daughter in law must have been super happy! :)

    ReplyDelete